Sunday, April 27, 2014

Broken streaks

I had all kinds of streaks going, and this weekend killed all of them.  Over the weekend, I got off-track with my tracking and broke my New Year's Resolution to track every day.  I think that by getting almost through April, I beat most resolutions by a mile. I am starting again tonight. 

I was on a streak of walking 10,000+ steps a day. I had been having some tenderness and pain in my leg and on Friday morning, it was getting worse. I did a short walk in the morning but otherwise did not worry too much about getting steps.  I also took my wristband off for the opera and missed all my steps that evening, so I only got about 8,000.  On Saturday, the leg was still bothering me, so we just went for a short bike ride, and I charged my band when we got back and forgot to put it back on, so I missed all the steps I got Saturday. We went to the Titanic exhibit and the Glass City Marathon Expo and I am sure I got lots of steps. I bought some new running shoes and a pair of compression sleeves at the expo.  There were even more steps at my formal event.  I really wish I had gotten a picture before I left for that, as I looked very glamorous in my unusually-high (for me) heels. I was encouraged that my leg was not hurting after the event, even though my feet were a little sore. 

This morning, I was determined to get my streak started again so I decided that even though the back of my knee was feeling a little tender, I was going to go out and try my new running shoes and compression sleeves.  I thought that my leg would loosen with an easy run.  

And that, dear readers, is where the streak I most wanted to keep going ended. I am no longer injury-free.  About a minute or two into running, I felt a horrible pop right where the leg had been bothering me. I even thought I heard a pop, and I saw a flash of white light before my eyes, which was probably just pain. The pain stopped me in my tracks.  I hobbled back to the car, which took me a long time because my left knee hurt every time I put weight on it.  

I texted my husband and the massage therapist I have been seeing. Both said the same thing: Rest and ice. I briefly considered trying to swim tonight, but the massage therapist nixed the idea -- the whole idea seems silly, I know now.  

I'm trying not to get too discouraged. I am resting today.  Tomorrow, if I am still hurting (and I expect I will be), I am going to call the sports medicine doctor who saw me for my bone spur.


  1. So very, very sorry.
    Vexing is the word that comes to mind.

  2. So sorry you got injured... but it DOES happen, to a lot of people, take GOOD care of yourself now and get healed all the way up so it doesn't haunt you life-long!!

  3. How's it feeling today? Rest and ice sounds like the best medicine ...

  4. You are all right -- it is vexing (good word!), it happens to a lot of people, and rest and ice does help. I felt better when I woke up in the sense that I didn't feel like crying when I put weight on it. I'm trying to stay off it as much as possible and rest/ice/elevate when I can.

    I have an appointment with a sports medicine doctor on Wednesday, and hopefully I will learn more then.


"Count your calories, work out when you can, and try to be good to yourself. All the rest is bulls**t." -- Jillian Michaels at BlogHer '07