- NARS Orgasm Blush: It's not just the name, though I'm sure that's part of the appeal. It's also that the peachy-pink color instantly wakes up my face and makes me look fresh and rested even when, like last week, I've been traveling and am so tired my face hurts. It doesn't come with one of those stubby little brushes you find with most blushes. That's okay, because those brushes aren't good for getting natural-looking color anyway. I use a long-handled angled brush to get that soft glow I'm looking for.
- Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat (Radiant Touch in Luminous Ivory: This is a little pricey but it actually does what concealer is supposed to do. I have dark undereye circles from allergies and have tried a lot of concealers and this is the best by far. It can be used anywhere you have darkness or discoloration or want a little more brightness.
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey: If I put on a single layer, it gives just a touch of color, but a second layer deepens the color. It moisturizes my lips, which are always dry.
- Fresh Sugar tinted lip treatment in Rose: This is an even softer look than the Black Honey, and more moisturizing. It's a good touch of color for when you want that pretty no-makeup look.
- Dermalogica Sheer Tint Moisture SPF 15 in Medium: Another product for no-makeup days. It has just enough tint to even out dark spots or blemishes without looking like I'm wearing anything on my face.
- LORAC Breakthrough Performance Foundation: I use this on days that I need a little more coverage. It has a great closeable pump for travel, which is nice. It looks natural and has a nice finish.
- Benefit Cosmetics It's Potent! Eye Cream: I notice that this one didn't get great Amazon reviews but I really like it. It's thick so a little goes a long way.
- Benefit Cosmetics Triple Performing Facial Emulsion SPF 15: I liked the eye cream so much that I just bought its companion product. This is a nice, light moisturizer that isn't at all greasy. It does seem to brighten up my skin, too.
- Dermalogica Clean Start Acne Starter Kit: I think it's unfair that I have adult skin that thinks, sometimes, that it is still in its teenage years. Because this kit is intended as a gateway drug to Dermalogica for teenagers, it's a little less expensive than their adult products. I especially like the "Bedtime for Breakouts" treatment. The cleanser is nice, too, though I have heard it's not worth spending a lot on cleansers so I'll probably go back to my old drugstore standby Burt's Bees Acne Purifying Gel Cleanser when the sample runs out.
- NYX 3 Color Eyeshadow Trio #3 Nude/Taupe/Dark Brown: Just in case you think I only buy expensive products, this is a nice bargain eye palette. I don't think it's worth spending a lot of money on color -- I'd rather spend it on skincare and foundation. This is a particularly good deal because it seems comparable to expensive brands like M.A.C. I like that it's not sparkly and that the pots of color are big. There is a mirror in the compact and the applicators are long enough to give good control, so it's good for travel. The colors are very versatile. The dark brown is dark enough to use as a liner for a smoky eye, especially with a dab of water. Most of the time I just use a big brush to put the nude color all over and then add a little sweep of the dark brown at the crease, also with a brush, to give a more natural look.
Monday, April 16, 2012
My beauty product additction: With product recommendations
My skincare and makeup addiction continues. Please don't judge me. In return, I'll share a little top ten of products I've found that I really love. Most of these are cult classics, products I keep hearing about. I am using Amazon Affiliate links mostly so you can click through and learn more about the products and their prices:
"Count your calories, work out when you can, and try to be good to yourself. All the rest is bulls**t." -- Jillian Michaels at BlogHer '07