I didn't feel like a Christmas/holiday post (I had a fun one, but how interesting would it be to write about it?) This post was shamelessly stolen from Shauna's 2009 and Feelin' Fine post:
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? I tore apart a sink in my bathroom and helped to install a new one. Not just changing out a faucet this time, but actually removing a sink from my home. That was fun. I took a 6-week watercolor class and decided I really enjoy it and want to keep doing it. I tried hot yoga, also great. I committed to regularly coloring my hair, probably for the rest of my life (unless I decide that I want to go gray someday). I let my first passport expire (though I resolve to get a new one in 2010 just in case someone wants to whisk me away to Europe at the last minute). I got a full-time job in the field of my choice, one that I could actually imagine doing for the rest of my career. I attended a graduation ceremony as a faculty member.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year? I barely remember what I resolved last year, except that I was going to be at my goal weight by now. Obviously, did not keep that one. I resolve to get a passport this year (see above). I resolve to focus on my behavior and my fitness and keep working toward my goals without getting obsessive about the scale. I resolve to keep trying new things and setting new goals. I also want to continue working on getting out of debt while still enjoying the occasional worthy splurge. 3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? She wasn't close to me anymore, but a high school classmate died unexpectedly and it was a bit of a shock.
5. What countries did you visit? Sadly, I did not leave the USA, which was why I didn't renew my passport -- I was a little short on cash and had no plans to travel, so I thought I would wait until I was feeling a little more flush. I did do some traveling within the States, visiting California, Massachusetts (twice), Tennesee, North Carolina. Michigan is less than a mile from here so I'm there a lot.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? A vacation with my husband. Also, sometime I would like to go on a spa-type retreat for a weekend (or week) trip by myself and maybe meet up with some like-minded women. Don't know that this will happen in 2010, though. 7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? The first real Christmas for my nephew.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting my finances in order for the first time since I moved in with my husband. We have managed to straighten out our money issues, plus we also both have full-time jobs we like and only one house (having two mortgages for almost a year was a major financial strain). We aren't all the way out of debt yet but it is seeming possible to get down to just a mortgage payment.
9. What was your biggest failure? Failing to decide whether I really wanted to lose weight enough to seriously commit to it. I feel like I played around with weight loss this year -- not really committing to doing it or to letting it go, just sort of fiddling. This coming year I want to try to have more focus. I also didn't spend as much time maintaining relationships with friends, or making new friends whose interests more closely match my own.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I'm currently having trouble with my foot, will be seeing a podiatrist Tuesday to deal with some recurrent pain/numbness in the toes of my left foot. I started taking meds for a thyroid issue. I have been pretty lucky, though, this was a fairly healthy year.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Refurbished 3GS iPhones! Both of us love them and they were a steal.
12. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage, living expenses, debt.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Swimming!
14. What song will always remind you of 2009? I can't think of one. I think I spent most of 2009 listening to NPR news and various podcasts. Yes, I'm officially old, but with a techno twist.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Happier. Things are more secure now for me and I'm feeling good. b) thinner or fatter? About the same weight. Maybe not thinner, but definitely fitter. c) richer or poorer? Richer, per #8. 16. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveling for fun and not work. Spending time with real friends and family.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying about what other people think. Sitting in front of a computer or TV screen just because I couldn't think of something better to do.
18. How will you spend Christmas? Spent it with my family -- feasting, playing cards, opening lots of gifts, playing with my nephew. May host a belated celebration with my in-laws next Tuesday if they all can agree to/commit to a time.
19. Did you fall in love in 2009? I have been in love with my husband for a long time (going on 20 years together next October, and 16 years married in May). I am lucky to have a lot of love in my life.
20. What was your favorite TV program? The Biggest Loser, The Mentalist
26. Who did you miss? My favorite lunch buddy from my last job. My running partner, who moved to the wilds of western Indiana.
27. Who was the best new person you met? I really like the new chair of our department. One of my regrets of 2010 is that I didn't make any great new friends. It's hard but worth putting some effort into. Something to work on in 2010.
Hope you close 2009 with a bang and have a great 2010.