The daily-blogging thing really got away from me this week.
A friend from one of my online communities posted the link to this video. The audio is really interesting but the video is useless because it focuses only on the doctor and not the slides. I treated this like a podcast and listened to it while I worked on laundry and other things.
Some key interesting points:
- Bariatric medicine is not just about weight loss
- Doctors should focus on improving health, not just lowering weight
- Doctors should focus on behavior goals, not weight goals
- Stopping weight gain is the first goal in treating obese patients
- Each person should be treated as an individual, not given a one-size-fits-all solution
Lots of other good stuff here as well. His major point is that weight is not a reliable proxy for health. If doctors adopted this approach, it would require a paradigm shift.
I am adding his blog to my reader -- some great insights here.