I made my own version tonight and it turned out pretty good. I could probably have gotten closer to the original had I used about half a cup of grated cheese in it instead of a couple of tablespoons. Somehow their cheese melts perfectly into the broth and makes it really creamy and amazing. Mine just sort of disappeared in the bowl.
I'm not good at measuring, but I'll tell you what I put in the pot and you can experiment on your own if you'd like. It was very warm and satisfying. I used a four-cup box of organic, free-range chicken broth, but you could start with your own broth or stock if you're feeling ambitious.
To the broth, I added:
- 1 diced leftover cooked chicken breast
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 sliced scallion
- chili puree with garlic (just about 1/4 tsp., because it's very hot)
- 1/2 a roasted red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- red pepper flake
- a couple of heavy pinches of salt
- a little fresh thyme, since I had some around
It was good, but I still am thinking of checking to see if the stand has tortilla soup tomorrow.